I had set myself to do daily Shoebot sketches more than a month ago, and silently lost the pace a few days into it. I'm still bummed that I didn't make it, but there was a decent reason.

I've been rather active around covid contact tracing apps, doing media outreach and general activism as part of the PT digital rights group (@d3). After months of hard work (and confirmation of failure scenarios), we got a grant from a European NGO to write a report about the portuguese corona tracing app experiment.

So I switched my evenings from Shoebot dabbling to investigative mode, sourcing hundreds of news to establish a timeline, gathering data and making charts. The report was delivered but we're energised enough to adapt it into a format aimed at a Portuguese audience -- lawmakers, media and concerned citizens.

As a way to kind of redeem myself from setting Shoebot aside, I'm using it to make the visualizations for the report. And now I have loads of plans to build a plugin for Shoebot to provide easy ways to visualise datasets -- the Python coding style is bliss for me, compared to other specialised frameworks like Bokeh or D3 (which I love and use for more demanding contexts).

This is a work-in-progress chart, made for analysis and not (yet) aesthetics, but I'm pretty excited with how it's turning out.

Can anyone help me id this bird species so I know what to feed this little guy? (found in Northern Portugal)

- Non-daily 10 -

Some buggy flickering at the start, but there's some sine wave motion

- Daily 8 -

I spent more time than would be reasonable to implement squares that flip. First I tried to avoid saving their states, but got fed up and just did things with a class. Still grumpy that I couldn't find a nicer way.

Next time I'll see if trig motion makes this less monotonous

- Daily 7 -

Going deeper into @aqua 's epitrochoids and playing with numbers until something nice appears.

One happy discovery -- this particle-like effect is actually a dashed stroke which happens to move nicely as the paths shift shapes. Reminds me of Processing particle examples (and using dashes speeds up rendering considerably)

- Daily 6 -

Fell behind a couple of days because of work, so let's begin catching up

This is my first take at porting @aqua 's beautiful epitrochoids demo to Shoebot. Original at picardia.co/static/vanitas/

The only goal for now was getting anything on the screen; it's still pretty glitchy, I'll probably keep playing with this more as I try to understand what's going on

- Daily 3 -

Started as an experiment with moirés, but got distracted with stroke dashes again

Arf, I posted an earlier version which actually demonstrated a glitch with the stroke miters (see how they snap right after the shape starts drawing), now this is the right one.

Code:

size(548,548)
background(0.8)
stroke(0.5)
strokewidth(2)
strokejoin(BEVEL)
speed(30)

def draw():
for n in range(10):
angle1 = FRAME/2
if angle1 % 360 == 0:
print(f"Reached loop frame: {FRAME}")
angle2 = FRAME*5 % 360
arc(WIDTH/2, HEIGHT/2, n*25, angle1, angle2)

Show thread

- Daily 2 -

I used to find this "chord arc" a pretty dull shape because I was only looking at single static examples. When combined or animated, they get interesting really quick.

(didn't feel an urge to explore color -- it's gray on gray and i call it a day)

So in June I'm trying my first thing-a-day-for-a-month project.

I'll be posting experiments made with , a tool that i've been making with friends for the last 13 years, to draw with vector graphics in a simple drawing syntax.

First off, an output of some recent fun animating stroke dashes -- increasing their offset results in a pleasing smooth motion. This one is made out of 3 100-sided stars with varying dashed strokes.

If vector graphics, python, creative coding and/or pen plotters ring a bell, my LGM short talk presenting the new release will probably be of interest to you! In around 30 minutes: libregraphicsmeeting.org/2021/

was just making a practical visual test to ensure that the new arcs in Shoebot work properly, and hey i like this

and a cool feature in Shoebot: a simple syntax to make a basic GUI to tweak any parameter in a sketch

Show thread

and after some back and forth on the Shoebot matrix channel, now there's a simple syntax to tweak variable fonts. I'm really happy with this

Show thread

I've got back to hacking on Shoebot, a project I started 13 years ago at Piet Zwart to make images with code (they seem to call it "creative coding" nowadays)

I seem to go back to it in yearly bursts, and thankfully Stuart is around to take care of things in the meantime.

Now that we're looking at implementing variable fonts, I noticed we had no apparent way to set a font's weight or style; it turned out it was mostly done in the code, but not documented. So yesterday I took care of that. Tiny victories are always encouraging and worth the effort.

Just learned a new UX term: rageshake

(image from Element for Android)

Show more
post.lurk.org

Welcome to post.lurk.org, an instance for discussions around cultural freedom, experimental, new media art, net and computational culture, and things like that.