Show more

Teenage Engineering, you are our only hope.

IDK. The fact that it's 2019 and the zeigeist of new electronic musical interfaces is *still* centered around the keyboard is a bit saddening to me. I get that they are trying to target non-musical audience who want to learn music, but come on. Let's be a bit more forward thinking. Using an archaic instrument and building a system that looks like a combination of every youtube piano tutorial and DDR is *not* how we as a society should spreading the word of music making.

The new Roli product is called the Lumi. It's a portable MIDI keyboard, with a nonstandard key width, that lights up with pretty rainbows. Okie dokie then, Roli. You Do You.

music = speech - text

(credit goes to sean booth)

I'm on the lines forum right now reading a thread about the end of the (human) world. These are surreal times.

On a google maps widget, there is a button for zooming in and out. Difference between my house and the entire planet is 18 clicks.

Forths and LISPs play nicely together.

Chernobyl Spoilers 

Many, some of these baby toys on amazon could be turned into some really interesting electronic musical interfaces with the right sensors.


Sound parameters can now control visual elements. The LFO controlling the frequency of this siren is also mapped to the scale of the circle being drawn.

The hardest part here was actually tuning the FFMPEG parameters to generate an mp4 file from the input h264 video and wav audio file.

On OSX, FFMPEG seems to want to use AAC by default. And if it ain't AAC, quicktime will not play it. It also turns out that the bitrate is set to be really low by default, which caused audible sound glitches and artifacts to be heard.

It still looks/sounds like crap, but I'm just pleased I got it working.

On reinventing the wheel 

The detail of the pattern is movement.

Okay! More x264 developments. I built an x264 in my monolith ecosystem. Scheme code is evaluating forthy (Runt) code. Runt code is drawing circles to pixel framebuffers. Pixel framebuffers are being written to h264 files.

Synched sound comes next...

As an experiment, I have set my maximum line width to be 60 characters instead of 80. Going to see how that affects my thinking while writing/coding creatively.

The immediate reason for doing this is because I wanted a bigger font size on my tiny GPD pocket so I didn't have to strain as much to read things.

Larger fonts on smaller screens means less information per screenful. As an artist, I've been meaning to reduce my reliance to the screen. The idea is to slow down and shift some of that focus to the ears and mind.

My hope is that reducing the line width will be a positive benefit to how I code. I hope this will yield simpler/.smaller code structures that are right to the point.

Of course, this could also lead to more unreadable code as well. We shall see.

patchlore boosted

i need to follow some new people... looking for naturey people, software developers, anarcho-somethings, and artists... any suggestions? #followforfollow #newfriends

Just learned how to use org-agenda on local file, rather than via the default global list.

For me, this means I can add schedule tasks in all my literate programs written in Org.

The line between my TODO lists and my actual program code has never been blurrier.

More silly colors. But this time, the video encoding happens directly via the x264 C API instead of writing the raw YUV/PNG frames.

The next step is to get this to draw more interesting things (duh), and also to sync it with generated sound inside my software ecosystem.

Show more

Welcome to, an instance for discussions around cultural freedom, experimental, new media art, net and computational culture, and things like that.